Screenshot contest #14 (FOUND)

Can you figure out where these screenshots were taken and take one of your own in the same place?

Screenshot contest #14 (FOUND)

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:46 am

Can you take a screenshot in this location and post it?

You'll need to uncheck "Use Atlantis Trees" on Options to make the area look like it does in the picture.

You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Screenshot contest #14

Postby Taxie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 am

My screenshot is far less elegant!

For location, see hints and spoilers.

Look at that little guy!

Less elegant but more hugs /nod
Taxie

Re: Screenshot contest #14 (FOUND)

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am

I had a friend once on Gaheris who said this spot is the most magical place in the game. She could be right.

When you go looking for it, be sure to uncheck "Use Atlantis Trees."

The horses look different in Taxie's pictures and mine because my DAOC client was set to classic models. Taxie used Catacombs models. Here's how the unicorn looks with both settings.

I think the classic version (first picture) looks much better. In general, I think artwork and animations were better in classic models. That's why I use them. Catacombs models look more modern technically but artistically, imho, they are inferior.

The Catacombs horse (second picture) is awkward and clunky.

You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Pentegarn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 am

Pentegarn

Postby doctorwhat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Rob wrote: ...because my DAOC client was set to classic models. Taxie used Catacombs models. Here's how the unicorn looks with both settings.

I think the classic version (first picture) looks much better. In general, I think artwork and animations were better in classic models. That's why I use them. Catacombs models look more modern technically but artistically, imho, they are inferior.

You aren't the only one that shares that view. Every time I've returned to DAoC since quitting as an active hobby my first step was to go to options and turn pre-catacombs models on. When I talk friends into trying it it's the first thing I recommend. (I do like some of the water improvements but I consider that a push, SI was nice I just appreciate being able to see creatures below me when it's a zone I can move in 3 dimensions in).

I always found DAoC to have the most realistic feel to it's world, even being superior to WoW and the like (better graphics but the more cartoonish nature breaks immersion IMHO).

Here's to hoping the new zone graphic changes I saw advertised for the upcoming patches are improvements since looks like they'll be forced.
doctorwhat

Return to Screenshot contests