LaunchPad build 1 -- new DAOC program in alpha test

Dark Age of Camelot in general.

LaunchPad build 1 -- new DAOC program in alpha test

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:59 am

In my never-ending quest to attract more people to this website, I decided to write a program that launches DAOC and logs in toons at the press of a button. Hopefully this will be of interest to many players.

The program isn't finished yet. You can enter settings for toons and log in with a key press, but when you close the program, the settings will be forgotten.

Please tell me what you think.

LaunchPad

You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: LaunchPad build 1 -- new DAOC program in alpha test

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:39 am

Somebody asked me in the game whether the program will store passwords safely. This is an excellent question.

I'm planning to use the exact same method of storing encrypted passwords as Google Chrome. I figure the people at Google know a lot more about this than I do.

How Google Chrome stores passwords

Microsoft reference page on cryptographic API
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 pm

First build suggestion: It needs to be able to handle multiple accounts and log in more than one character per session. Otherwise, I REALLY like the idea, and would definitely use it.

Edit: As a second idea, and more for clarity, refer to them as characters instead of toons? Toons is more slang-ish, characters seems more official sounding.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Warriorperson wrote:First build suggestion: It needs to be able to handle multiple accounts and log in more than one character per session.

It does that now. Is there something about the way it looks, or something that I wrote, that gave you the opposite impression?

Warriorperson wrote:Edit: As a second idea, and more for clarity, refer to them as characters instead of toons? Toons is more slang-ish, characters seems more official sounding.

"Toon" has the advantage of being short, so it fits easily on buttons. Let's see what other people think about this.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I didn't know if it did or not, I can't really test it out since I'm not playing. I could see that being overlooked on accident though, and that would be an important feature to have.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

New stuff on this site

Postby vaenry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:51 am

Nice i like it but i have a stupid question we will still need to run the launcher to patch every so often
~Vaen~
vaenry

Re: New stuff on this site

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:40 am

Thanks and yes.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Boudecca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 am

Hi Rob
Have sent a couple of suggestions in a pm - one was about the Patcher option. One other thing - from what I can see you will need to instruct users of Vista to turn OFF User Account Control, or Launcher won't er, launch.

This is going to be extremely convenient. N1

Cheers
Boude the Obscure
Boudecca

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 am

Boudecca wrote:One other thing - from what I can see you will need to instruct users of Vista to turn OFF User Account Control, or Launcher won't er, launch.

Thanks for the comments! It should launch on Vista with UAC on. In fact my development machine has that configuration, and I haven't seen this problem. Can you tell me more details? Thanks.

If UAC is on, Vista should show you a prompt requesting elevation.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Boudecca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:25 am

Hi Rob
Launchpad : this is going to be a highly useful applet, used by many players alot of the time. Initial suggestions :

1. omit the message screen about system requirements - only halt if the system does not meet them

2. when you have entered a toon details how do you Save the info?

3. when you exit the prog, give an option to retain it in the system tray

4. have a selectable option to run the patcher before launching a toon - I do this once a day at first log on.

5. have an assurance somewhere that the details of a user's account and password will not leave their machine or be collectable by anybody else

6. It may have been some other reason it wouldn't launch with User Account control on - it seems ok now, although I have now turned off UAC - I hate it.

7. make launch occur straight from the icon selected instead of at the moment you select an icon then go to the launch tag

8. still cant really test it properly as I can't Save the added toons

(ps IMO there's nothing wrong with use of the term 'toon' )

Cheers
Boude the Obscure
Boudecca

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:45 am

Boudecca wrote:this is going to be a highly useful applet, used by many players alot of the time.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the suggestions!

Boudecca wrote:1. omit the message screen about system requirements - only halt if the system does not meet them

I'm not sure which message you mean. Could you tell me the exact text? Thanks.

Boudecca wrote:2. when you have entered a toon details how do you Save the info?

The next build will do this automatically.

Boudecca wrote:3. when you exit the prog, give an option to retain it in the system tray

Good idea, will do!

Boudecca wrote:4. have a selectable option to run the patcher before launching a toon - I do this once a day at first log on.

I'll do this if possible. It may turn out that the best I can do is provide a button to launch DAOC normally without logging in automatically.

Boudecca wrote:5. have an assurance somewhere that the details of a user's account and password will not leave their machine or be collectable by anybody else

Good idea, will do!

Boudecca wrote:7. make launch occur straight from the icon selected instead of at the moment you select an icon then go to the launch tag

You mean with a left double click on the icon? That may turn out to be a good idea but I'd like to wait until the program has more features so we can see if that will be intuitive after more features can be chosen.

Btw you can right click the icons for a menu.

Boudecca wrote:8. still cant really test it properly as I can't Save the added toons

Hopefully I'll post a new build today that saves. The work is slow because password encryption has to be foolproof before I post a build that saves passwords, and I want to be careful. But I think the new build will be done today.

Boudecca wrote:(ps IMO there's nothing wrong with use of the term 'toon' )

Thanks. So far the vote is 2 in favor, 1 against (somebody voted yes in a tell in game).
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Boudecca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am

Boudecca wrote:"1. omit the message screen about system requirements - only halt if the system does not meet them"
Rob replied : I'm not sure which message you mean. Could you tell me the exact text? Thanks.

"Verifying Application Requirements. This may take a few minutes"

This may be something only I get - though it happens on both my desktop and laptop - both running Vista SP2. If it is an internal feature of Vista, I can live with it.

Cheers
Boude the Obscure
Boudecca

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 am

Boudecca wrote:only halt if the system does not meet them

But the program doesn't halt when that message appears. That's a progress message.

Programs display progress messages while they perform tasks that might take more than about a second. Nothing stops while the message is visible.

If there were no progress message, users would say to themselves, "Is this program broken? Why isn't anything happening?"
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Fang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:18 am

Very nice little applet Rob. The "checking system requirements" message that Boudecca is getting is one that is from the .net software doing version checking of installed components. Can't get rid of it unfortunately.

Anyways, it would be nice if you could build in an import feature which would bring in the last ten toons played (there's my vote) from the user.dat in the lotm directory.
Fang

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Fang wrote:Anyways, it would be nice if you could build in an import feature which would bring in the last ten toons played (there's my vote) from the user.dat in the lotm directory.

Good idea! I'll try to do that.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:13 pm

There's a new build, so let's move to a new thread:

LaunchPad build 4 -- settings now get saved
Rob
Site Admin

Return to General DAOC