Early keeps

Memories of the old days.

Early keeps

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:31 am

Early keeps were hard and full groups with eight live players were necessary. Many of these groups assembled at Druim Ligen. People used to hang out there waiting for a keep leader to swing by and choose them. It was like standing in a Home Depot parking lot at 6 am hoping that a contractor will hire you for a day's work.

Competition was fierce for a slot in a good leader's group. Good leaders were the ones who invited wisely. They assembled an effective mix of classes and chose competent players.

After a while, if you grouped with the same leader repeatedly, he'd start looking for you at Ligen. He might even send you a tell when he needed your class. You became one of his regulars. You got to know his other regulars too.

By that time your pickup group had evolved into something steadier.

My favorite keep was Ailinne. The original Ailinne (in the old frontier) perched on a hill. We would set up at the bottom and somebody would run up and pull a patrol. Then we'd brace for impact. If we did everything right, there was a pretty good chance we'd live. But frequently we wiped.

Each patrol consisted of about three cronicorns and several humanoid casters. These cronicorns were the grand-grandparents of the cronicorns that live on Ailinne's roof today, but they were much, much harder relative to toons.

Several keeps were so hard that they required more than one group. They were rarely done. If I remember correctly, Hlidskialf was in this category. My guild tried it with about three or four groups. With great difficulty, we fought our way in and managed to clear everything almost to the lord -- and then everything suddenly repopped all around us and we wiped. Repopping was Hlid's gimmick.

Mostly we did keeps that dropped 16 dreads, but the number was apparently randomized and could sometimes be 15. Many players didn't believe that the randomization was deliberate, and they would appeal when they got 15. But usually we got 16 seals per keep, and with eight people in the group, each person got two.

That's how my first guy got to RR5. Two seals at a time.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Early keeps

Postby IzleFoshizle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks for posting that Rob, brings so many memories. I miss those days. :/
-- Survivors --
[Main] Frizle FoShizle

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
IzleFoshizle

Postby Peabody » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

One additional detail. Rams.

Rams, that's right we knocked the doors down with Rams. This fact was very likely to influence the group leaders because it made players with appropriate tradeskills and high strength more valuable.

Here is the story of how I learned of HoAs (and gave Robbie a good chuckle):

Early this year, when I restarted the game after a 6+ year absence most of my characters had the RA skill lifter and diminutive rams in their packs and vaults. My warrior and Shammy bot were logged out at DL with every spare pound allocated to rams and ram parts. So what was I to do... I had heard the game was easier now, so I headed for Dun Ailinne. Confirming what I had heard, the guards con'd oj and posed little difficulty. I deployed a ram, and after 5-10 minutes on the door I was in the yard facing more of those nerfed guards.

Fast forward... to the roof. I wiped on the lord after underestimating the horses, but it was Dun Ail, so a quick release/rebuff and I headed out. I round the corning into the courtyard and there standing beside my Ram is Ribble :)
Peabody Wayback: GM - Valor and Glory
Peabody

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:39 pm

That was funny. I was glad to see you back after so many years.

Rams were clumsy and got stuck easily and most people hated them. But for some reason, I loved them. I always volunteered to ram the doors.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby vicky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 am

I remember the Thane keep that was my favorite one... and it was also the one that Torianna got rr5 on. I miss the old keeps really liked the artwork of them.
vicky

Postby Peabody » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 am

A visit to Cath Valley, should bring back some old keep memories :)
Peabody Wayback: GM - Valor and Glory
Peabody

Postby vicky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:37 pm

it does bring back memories. but rarely go there.. i think time for a trip to CV is in order though.
vicky

Postby Patsey Pinecone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 am

I loved doing keeps.. I used to do keep runs with Justice and Bretel. I remember when we had so much wood that we couldn't move without a strength buff.. LOL! I got so many RP's I was shocked that I was the #1 VW on the server for a bit.. it was an accident.. I was doing it for the fun. Justice Willbdone.. what a character. While we'd be beating on the keep boss he'd use his crazy chat macros like his Geico commercial. LOL
Patsey Pinecone

Postby Pentegarn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Old keeps remind me of back in the day BHP raids where you showed up, raided for 2-4 hours and got 3-4 seals and it was a huge thing.

Of course this all predated Agramon and the Laby, seals were beyond hard to procure then, and they certainly were out of reach of non botted soloers.
Pentegarn

Postby vicky » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 pm

doesn't bhp still do that on Mondays?
vicky

Postby Qwarr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

vicky wrote:doesn't bhp still do that on Mondays?

We sure do :)
/Q - Officer of BlackHeart Pirates
Qwarr

Postby Philburn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:39 am

I remember Justice; I used to love everyone dieing on a keep and having the shaman (jammy usually) end up running away and the mobs never lost agro. I recall more then once our shaman would end up running to the other side of the rvr zone and that stupid mob would still be on him. Also loved the seals dropping through the floors sometimes or better yet the keep insta respawning. There were a number of keeps that were just usually skipped; but others that we would try and claim asap cause we knew they were so easy hehe
Philburn

Postby Rastafriarmon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 pm

About 10 years ago, my brother plopped me down in front of his computer he was giving me and told me that I was gonna play a game that would keep us in touch while he was at seminary.. (i was 40.. my bro 41 at the time). So I created my first toon here on Gaheris , a thane named Goetz. (he said the other servers were a bit much fer my skill level which was zero)

With no real training (he was gone the next day) I set out to explore the world. I had never played an MMO, had no clue what chat was yet, didn't know anything about skills or how to spec.. no idea of what was out there at all.. a babe in the woods..

I came to a gate in West Svealand.. went thru it and took a left..

It was cool.. another town with castle walls on hill.. they might be able to give me some more quests! :D

I boldy wandered up the hill... all twelve whole levels or so.. hehe

I was greeted by some big wolves on two legs..

Ouch... :oops:
Rastafriamon
Intelligence is a gift... Stupidity is a choice... Ignorance is merely a state of being..
https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/rastafriarmon
Rastafriarmon

Return to Gaheris history