Legion

Memories of the old days.

Legion

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm

My memory of this stuff is fuzzy. If I made any mistakes here, I hope people will correct them.

When Gaheris went live in December 2002, toons from the beta test continued to exist. Mythic didn't wipe them. These toons had a ten-day head start on everyone else because the last phase of the beta had begun ten days earlier.

Many of these people belonged to a guild named Legion. When Gaheris opened, their toons were already 50 or close. Legion was very competitive, and for years it seemed like the most elite guild on the server. Actually it was more than that. I'm tempted to say that Legion dominated the server in the early years, but that's putting it too strongly. It's hard to explain Legion's role.

During the first couple of years:

-- The main raid leader on Gaheris, Darkfury, was a member of Legion.

-- Legion was rich at a time when the game was much harder than it is today.

-- The first Gaheris team lead, Darkfury, was a member of Legion.

-- The second Gaheris team lead, Binne, was a member of Legion (and the wife of its GM).

-- Legion did a lot of high level content, probably more than other guilds, and managed to create a sort of mystique about themselves as expert players.

-- After housing was added to the game in summer 2003, Legion bought most of the lots (maybe all) in Eccleston (including Lot 1). Players began to call that area "Legion Village." Eccleston became the upscale shopping mall of the server. That was the place to go to buy high-level crafted stuff (LGM crafters were rare) and loot from hard areas of the game (like ML9).

Legion's first GM was named Bert. People generally thought he was a nice guy. But Legion's most visible member was Darkfury, the TL and raid leader, and his reputation was the opposite. I think it's fair to say that in the history of Gaheris, there was never anybody who was more widely disliked than Darkfury. On the other hand some people liked him. Darkfury was notorious for certain kinds of antisocial behavior. Years later -- I think around 2004 or 2005 -- Legion booted him because of this. Why it took them so long, I don't know.

One of the reasons why Legion had a reputation as the elitest guild was its admission procedure. Getting into Legion was hard. If they decided to admit you, there was a probationary period where you were in the guild only conditionally while they observed you and decided whether you were really up to their standards.

Many people were resentful and envious of Legion at the same time.

People were often embarrased to admit to friends that they had applied to Legion because it seemed to mean that they wanted to join the arrogant elite and leave their ordinary friends behind.

Of course, Legion was the leader of its own alliance.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Legion

Postby vicky » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Bert led Sidi Sunday raids. Everyone thought he was a good raid leader. He was bubbly. He made it all light and happy.

Bert led the first ml9 raid that killed Phoenix on Gaheris. We had to kill it three times to get credit. Bert appealed and dev's came. People from other servers rolled 1's on Gaheris and joined the BG to listen to how we were doing it because they hadn't been getting credit either.

Bert and Binne got married in game at the waterfall in Galladoria. It was romantic. About twenty people were there, maybe more.
vicky

Postby JammyDodger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 am

Legion was as Elite as people thought, people like me, mauli, corrigan, Valy, Sikosh etc were just idiots that spent most of our time getting told off by Darkfury and Binne for acting like asses :D
JammyDodger

Postby vicky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:44 pm

nice to see you around jammy
vicky

Postby Patsey Pinecone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:46 am

Legion to me was a bunch of funny, funny people.. I would do faceplants all the time reading guild chat. LOL Of course, we had a few
MAJOR asshats.
I was so upset over the drama in the WOW chapter, after a lot of us went there.. so silly. I blame Jammy. :lol:
Patsey Pinecone

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am

Hiya Legion people. When I started this thread I wondered if anybody from Legion would show up. Good to see you. :)
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Patsey Pinecone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am

Hey!! I found this place the other day.. I was chatting w Jammy, Corri and Sikosh on FB.. I got nostalgic and googled!! I love reading about the old days!! :D
Patsey Pinecone

Postby Ultra » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Just for S&G's I decided to go to Legion Central. Sadly, it's gone =( But then google pointed me to this page. I'm glad something about us remains.

Anyway, I played Ultra Magnus and was one of the founding members of Legion. I used to put on server events like this one:

http://camelot.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=1258

I really miss those days.
Ultra

Postby vicky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 pm

I remember you from way back.. nice to see some legion folks..
vicky

Postby Koar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Legion FTW. I joined an camped those undead things with Ultra for days while we were cranking out levels.

I miss the days of Durath, Corri, Noir <3, Bum (and his 50 Bum characters) etc. Was even better when we moved to WoW.. but Darkfury and Binne effed it all up. Drama queens!
Koar

Postby Koar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:27 pm

BTW.. I don't suppose Legion's forums are up anywhere?
Koar

Postby vicky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 am

I heard they wern't
vicky

Postby Ryzen-Rakarth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Can t help but smile looking at this thread ... thinking that what ? 10 years or so down the Road Legion is still in peoples minds :)

Anyways, Hello to all of you "old school" folks :)

Ryzen
Ryzen-Rakarth

Postby Sheb » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I joined Gaheris just before Legion kinda faded away. They were completely gone by the time i got my first 50 on gaheris. I do remember though threw the course of my lvling hearing/seeing two guilds that seems to have a lot of good players. Legion was one of those guilds. Fusion was the other. Im not sure if they were as elite as i thought they were but at the time they seemed to be to me.
Sheb

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 pm

My memory's fuzzy but I think (not sure) Fusion was a spinoff from Legion. I think it was the guild that Darkfury made after Legion kicked him out.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Sheb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Completely possible, i was new to gaheris and didnt know many people or much about the population yet
Sheb

Postby Nabs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

If I remember correctly wasn't there a toon named Xeene in Legion?
Nabs, Playing DAOC since 2004
Nabs

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Yep, Xeene became GM of Legion after Bert stopped playing.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Muga » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:45 pm

after so many years i still see the whispers of legion. i havent spoken to anyone in ages with the exception of kelli a few years back. WRU guys! can it be possible that only me and teg came back to play? and yes after most of the members left to wow there was still a good handful of us left here on gaheris playing. xeen, higgins, durath, kelli, hede, wyann me teg and a few others. damn where is everybody now~
Muga

Postby Teg~ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:27 am

WOW! I remember when I first came to gaheris, a little after its live launch and made me a paladin. took a while to get 50 and the first thing i wanted to do was to join Legion. it took almost 2 months of grouping and raiding with them when I got a tell from Bert asking me to join him in housing. I was invited into their guildhouse and it was there I got my tag. Not sure if some of the old schoolers remember the "lime green paladin" on sidi raids but yeah, it was me:) after a while I even got promoted to be an officer. I wore my colors proudly and i wont be ashamed to admit that I was truly honored to be in Legion! sadly i havent seen or heard from any other ex guildies.. would be amazing for a comeback.even if its for the 14 day free trial :)
Teg~

Postby boars » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:48 am

I remember Legion, I was there.
I cannot remember so well but I believe we first started the guild after leveling like crazy. I met some of the first people in the catacombs low 20's I think? Then we went with two groups, massive aoe pulls, thousands of pygmy goblins and angry tree's about two weeks into the server, to 50. I played a healer called Truth, while my roommate played a wizard. I cannot remember his toon's name at the moment. Wonder what happened to that house of mine filled with dragon heads, and to all of you of course.

Good to see ya guys still kickin it around, its been a long long time.

Truth/Kezz
boars

Postby Kregon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 am

Was it really that hard to get into Legion? I can barely remember now.

What I do remember is knowing 2 people (Floor, and Corrigan), and pestering the hell out of Bert for about 3 weeks. If that worked for a 14 year old it couldn't have been too daunting of a task. :P

The outside perspective is pretty facsinating. I was only ever in Legion as far as guilds went on Gaheris, so that's all new to me (even 8 years later!).
Kregon

Postby Dreggan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Bert wasn't the first GM, he was the 4th. Durath and Volorath were the first 2, then we had a Wizard who sold his account, and then Bert. Kinda miss those days. Nothing like completely dominating all the content on a server. Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

There are a few of us that have kept in touch after all that. But for the most part, everyone scattered to the 4 winds
Dreggan

Postby Kits » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Wow, talk about memories. Some of my best days gaming were on Gaheris in Legion. I joined with Hede right at the tail end of Darkfury's time in the guild, so I missed most of that drama - though I have to admit, he was one of my favorite raid leaders.

I often reminisce about the old days of TG with Darkfury, Galladoria on Saturday night with Corrigan, Sunday Sidi with Bert, the Legion vs. Legion runs, and later on dragons with Xeen and redcaps with Ann and Teg and company. I was just discussing this with Hede the other day. There are so many good memories of fun times, laughs, community, challenging ourselves with encounters, MLs, and such. I miss those days and miss seeing everyone.

I don't know about anyone else, but Hede and I still play WoW on Elune. Drop by and give us a hollar sometime!
Kits

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm

What the hell is up people! Didn't think I'd find so many oldass names here, haha.

Also, Kregon, YOU WERE FOURTEEN? That explains a lot...
And Dreggan/Durath, while I wasn't the first, I was certainly the most awesome ;)
For those curious, I still actively play MMOs over on WoW ofc. I'm running Night Haven, #1 Horde-guild on my server Dalaran, haha.
Look me up on our boards @ www.nighthavenonline.com or ingame - I'm Fallyn, Quivers and Melt and I'm mostly on evenings (EST) at around 1030pm-130am.

Many fond memories of the Gaheris days - that era of my life shaped a lot of who I am today, its pretty amazing.

Hope to see some more replies from the old farts :D

.bert
Bert

Next

Return to Gaheris history