Gaheris's first week

Memories of the old days.

Gaheris's first week

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Gaheris went live when the game was a little more than a year old.

In case anybody wants the details, it was patch 1.57 on December 12, 2002.

That same patch introduced the /hug emote which Gaheris needed in order to become the carebear server. :)

Darkness Falls (DF) was amazingly crowded at night during the first week and for a long time after. I vaguely remember evenings when 1200 people were in DF but I don't trust my memory on that.

What I do remember was roaming around DF looking for a little patch of ground where my group could stand and pull. Many people were sharing camps. Forget finding a whole camp. People were just trying to find a couple of mobs.

Why was DF so crowded? Because the game didn't have a lot of good places to XP. The game world was much smaller then. It consisted only of the old zones, old frontier, Darkness Falls, and Shrouded Isles (SI).

SI wasn't an option for most groups because it had been released only nine days earlier and many people (probably most) hadn't bought it yet. If even one person in your group lacked the SI expansion, then the group had to stay in DF or the old zones.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Gaheris's first week

Postby Warriorperson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, DF was one of the three premier xp spots back then. In hib, they were Fins (in cursed forest), DF, and "The pit" in Coruscating Mines, with Fins being the premier spot. I remember I would always farm the tunnels underneath the princes on my chanter/menty/druid team, because nobody ever went down there, and the odds of an Alb/Mid stumbling onto me were quite small. Beliathan killed me more times than any players ever did. Still hate that worm. Fun to kill however, still one of the harder mobs in the game.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Yep those were main xp spots but I was talking about the first week on Gaheris. Most toons were level 10 or 20 or 30, something like that. Not ready for fins.

But there were some 50s right from the start because Mythic allowed beta testers to carry their toons over when Gaheris went live. Most of those high level toons were in a guild called Legion. Because of their head start they played a prominent role on Gaheris for the first few years. I'm going to write about that guild in a separate thread.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 am

When did Redcaps get added to the game? I can't remember if Allta Fearann / Inishail Island / Modernagrav were part of the original SI package, or added at a later date. Mostly because I only went out there like two or three times, I spent the majority of my time in RvR during the SI days, since I had little need to pve after I got my druid templated. Oh how ToA changed things...
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 am

Warriorperson wrote:When did Redcaps get added to the game? I can't remember if Allta Fearann / Inishail Island / Modernagrav were part of the original SI package, or added at a later date.

Those three zones got added about ten months after SI went live. Patch 1.65, October 8, 2003
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Rob wrote:
Warriorperson wrote:When did Redcaps get added to the game? I can't remember if Allta Fearann / Inishail Island / Modernagrav were part of the original SI package, or added at a later date.

Those three zones got added about ten months after SI went live. Patch 1.65, October 8, 2003

Oh! You mean the Necromancer love patch! I loved that patch!
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Sheb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:02 pm

DF and CM were my home when i moved to gaheris just after SI patch u guys are talking about above. Shorty after that i realized Jup was playing on gaheris. We had been in the same guild on hib lance back in the day. From then on me and him ran our 4 toons (my two and his two, yes he did have less than 8 at one point) and pl'ed ourselves at fins in frontiers.
Sheb

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 am

When I think of Jup, the first thing that comes to mind is watching him swim to Beno with five toons from the dock. And eight minutes later, watching him swim back. I saw him do it several times and was so impressed by his speed that one day I timed him. Eight minutes. I don't know how he did it. It probably takes me eight minutes just to kill the patrols and knock a hole in the wall.

He was an amazing player.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby purella » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Rob wrote:That same patch introduced the /hug emote which Gaheris needed in order to become the carebear server. :)

This actually made me LOL. I made a carebears guild on Pendragon!
purella

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:54 pm

purella wrote:
Rob wrote:That same patch introduced the /hug emote which Gaheris needed in order to become the carebear server. :)

This actually made me LOL. I made a carebears guild on Pendragon!

I'm glad that made you laugh. I thought it was hilarious but nobody said anything until now -- only took three and a half months lol. :)

I was in a guild on Mid Pendragon in 2005 but I can't remember the name anymore. For a few months I played there a lot.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Gralna » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I remember my first week, i had moved from Tristan where even my short experience had made me loathe rvr. I even remember the first lvl 50 on gaheris, he was in legion and i believe he was Darkfury, if someone else beat him they were /anon. I remember each day doing /who 50, /who 49, /who 48... etc until i found highest lvl player. I still remember that beetles outside ardee were always full, so much so that when dueling was put in, the primary spot to duel that day was outside ardee.

my first toon btw, an elf ns, thought it would be funny, he is still fun to play though :P
Gralna

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Gralna wrote:I even remember the first lvl 50 on gaheris, he was in legion and i believe he was Darkfury, if someone else beat him they were /anon.

Interesting. There's more about Darkfury here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=119
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Nabs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 pm

MMmmm back in the day I remember zooming around in DF with my Bard rezzing anyone who needed/asked for a rez; I was always busy!
Nabs, Playing DAOC since 2004
Nabs

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Rob wrote:Yep those were main xp spots but I was talking about the first week on Gaheris. Most toons were level 10 or 20 or 30, something like that. Not ready for fins.

But there were some 50s right from the start because Mythic allowed beta testers to carry their toons over when Gaheris went live. Most of those high level toons were in a guild called Legion. Because of their head start they played a prominent role on Gaheris for the first few years. I'm going to write about that guild in a separate thread.

Actually, we ALL started at level 1 as well as anyone else - It just so happened that the people levelling together decided to form a guild :)
I was Billbert on that server - started level 1 and grinded to 50 with the rest of the Legion schlubs. Not a single one of us was an old beta toon. :p
Bert

Postby Arentol » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 pm

The Pit in Coruscating Mines -- you just brought back some great memories for me, as I had forgotten about that location. :D

In the early days there was a system bug whereby you could walk along a crack in the side of a wall, you'd fall, and then appear back in Mag Mell. Great way to escape! When entering, a lot of us would just drop down to the pit (at full health) ... the fall would nearly kill you, but not quite 100%. We had a healer at the bottom to take care of the falling chars.

Great memories, thanks for mentioning the Pit. ;)

Aren

---

Warriorperson wrote:Yeah, DF was one of the three premier xp spots back then. In hib, they were Fins (in cursed forest), DF, and "The pit" in Coruscating Mines, with Fins being the premier spot. I remember I would always farm the tunnels underneath the princes on my chanter/menty/druid team, because nobody ever went down there, and the odds of an Alb/Mid stumbling onto me were quite small. Beliathan killed me more times than any players ever did. Still hate that worm. Fun to kill however, still one of the harder mobs in the game.
Arentol

Postby Wrathgar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:51 pm

BERT! /hug

... best memory of Bert. Beating his bluntmaster with my friar while dueling in Atlantis. He wouldnt let me leave till he finally beat me. .. many rezs were involved ;) ... thats tight behind getting to join in on a few of Legion's Sidi raids. Good times.
Wrathgar

Return to Gaheris history