Mythic's comments about 2008 block rate changes (patch 1.96)

Dark Age of Camelot in general.

Mythic's comments about 2008 block rate changes (patch 1.96)

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Over the years Mythic employees made a number of comments on their old website, the original Camelot Herald, about how block and guard rates are calculated. These remarks appeared chiefly in patch notes and the "Grab Bag" column.

It's getting harder and harder to find this material on the web, so I've copied a little bit here.

Test version 1.96a (Pendragon) patch notes wrote:CLASS CHANGES AND FIXES

Shield Changes

- Shield Block Cap has been lowered to 60%.

Source: The Wayback Machine

Joanne Laroche, Grab Bag, Sep 19, 2008 wrote:Q. Can you clarify the 1.96a Blocking rate change? Is that for all PvE/PvP or just for PvP and does it affect Engage?

A. Fully prepared for this question, the Equalizer explains: PvE and RvR block rates have two separate caps. The change mentioned in the 1.96a Pendragon Patch Notes only affects the RvR block cap. The PvE block cap has not been altered.

This change does not affect Engage - Engage will still function exactly as it did prior to the cap being lowered.

Joanne Laroche, Grab Bag, Sep 26, 2008 wrote:Q. In a recent Grab Bag it was stated that the change to shield block rates in the 1.96a Pendragon Patch Notes "only affects the RvR block cap". Does this change affect block caps on the PvP ruleset and when dueling realm-mates?

A. The Equalizer while gazing up at the ceiling was ready to clarify this: RvR, or Realm versus Realm, is the term that we use to refer to any combat between two players, rather than combat between a player and a monster. As such, this change to the blocking cap affects all combat between two players, including duels and combat on Mordred.

Joanne Laroche, Grab Bag, Sep 26, 2008 wrote:Q. From the last Grab Bag: "PvE and RvR block rates have two separate caps". I just searched in the knowledgebase, but could not find what are the PvE block rates (Shield and Parry). It would help deciding whether I would get "master of parry" or not. What are they?

A. The Equalizer pretended to have a shield in his hand thinking I wouldn’t wait for an answer then he said: PvE blocking rates currently depend on the size of the shield being used. Currently, the blocking rate caps are as follows for PvE:

Small Shield: 80%
Medium Shield: 90%
Large Shield: 99%

Note: These values only affect PvE - in RvR, blocking is currently capped at 75%, and 60% on Pendragon.

Version 1.96 (release) patch notes wrote:CLASS CHANGES AND FIXES

Shield Changes

- Shield Block Cap has been lowered to 60%.

Source: Wayback machine
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Mythic's comments about 2008 block rate changes (patch 1

Postby Warriorperson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:39 pm

I think parry and evade are capped at 50%, right? I also think the block cap is higher than 99%, probably somewhere in the 99.5-9% range, but that's just a guess.

Also, they threw out actual numbers?! What the heck were they thinking, giving us actual numbers?!?!? That's so unlike Mythic!
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I don't know what they said about parry and evade, sorry.

I think Sanya and Joanne often printed numbers like those in the Grab Bag, but maybe my memory's playing tricks on me.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 pm

From what I can remember, evade was 5% per level of evade, plus dex/qui, dodger, %dodge, etc.

Parry is .5% per skill point, plus the dex calculation baseline (not sure if it uses dex, that's just according to charplan) it uses.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Pentegarn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am

Dodger... there's a blast from the days of yore.

Yep back when they had an actual crew (which was what, 5 years ago, where does the time go?) they put actual numbers and info on the grab bags every week. Been a long time since them days
Pentegarn

Return to General DAOC