Legion

Memories of the old days.

Re: Legion

Postby PlaneWalker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 pm

I was just talking to Ed via Steam and he linked me to his Legion screenshots (on a tumblr page here).

Here's my favorite though - the founding of Legion...

Again, you can see the rest via his tumblr page.
Plane Walker - <Legion> Officer (back in the day)
PlaneWalker

Postby PlaneWalker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:59 pm

I have backups for various versions of the Legion website, including the one that was already up when I joined. From it, I just now grabbed the guild charter from May 14th, 2003 - just 6 months after the guild was formed...

Charter, May 14th 2003,

1. Legion is a PvE based guild. We enjoy not only the grind to level 50 but the high level end-game content
and spending time with people we enjoy. Our mission is to embody an organization of players who play their
classes well and play well together to conquer the biggest obstacles in the game.

2. Membership - We open and close recruitment periodically based on the number of new recruits we have.
We like to acclimate new players to our guild before bringing in more recruits. Legion is based mostly around
high level end-game content, so keep in mind that we will not be accepting members who are not 45+. All
applicants must get 3 votes from regular members and the approval of the majority of the officers before receiving an invite.

3. If you plan to sell, trade, or allow access of your account to non-members of Legion, please let us know.
We allowed *you* into the guild, not your friend or the person you intend to give your account to. Such behavior will result in either probation or your removal from the guild, depending on the severity of the offense.

4. Once you are a member of Legion and are past your probationary period as a Rocot, you are allowed to have
your alts invited to the guild. Legion strongly frowns upon keeping active characters in other guilds and your doing so will result in your removal from Legion.

5. There shall be no bickering, insulting or otherwise abusive speech in /gu. We will give warnings when you have crossed the line and demotions will be issued if you ignore the warnings. If the problems continue, you should prepare for /autoremove.

6. You must be able to listen and follow directions. Legion leads a lot of raids and it is absolutely paramount that you respect the leaders of those raids by following their instructions.

7. Legion Friends - Legion has friends in this game who to our great dismay don't share our guild tag. We will make every attempt to make room in raid groups for good friends but please keep in mind that we hold strongly to the priniciple of guild first. There should be benefits to belonging to a guild and one of those benefits is always having a spot in a guild group.

8. Membership Activity - If at anytime a member of Legion's account goes inactive or they are absent from game play for a period greater than one month with no explanation, they will be autoremoved from the guild roster. In most cases, should the player become active again they will be reinvited.

9. When you have stopped having fun, please do what you think is best for you. That probably means leaving. It's understood that a guild cannot be everything to everyone and be good at its main goal. We will not hold it against you if Legion is not for you.

10. Have fun!!
PlaneWalker

Postby Zwerg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I think we're more or less on the same page. I really enjoyed the high end endgame stuff that wasn't possible without excellent people and solid action plans. If people conflicted with the best way to do things they were a problem, but I wouldn't talk to people like that. Nothing against the guy, just not the way I handle things.
That's why I (and the raid) did better when I wasn't leading the raid.
Not implying that DF or any of the rest of Legion wasn't doing it for fun - it was a blast. The most fun I've ever had playing any game. Ever. Even "Mount Your Friends".

See? I'm never serious enough to be a raid leader.
Zwerg

Postby PlaneWalker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Zwerg wrote:See? I'm never serious enough to be a raid leader.

You and I both ;)
PlaneWalker

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 am

PlaneWalker, thanks a lot for all the screenshots and info.

About Darkfury, I haven't been referring to rudeness or his behavior on raids.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby PlaneWalker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 am

Rob wrote:PlaneWalker, thanks a lot for all the screenshots and info.

No problem ;)

Rob wrote:About Darkfury, I haven't been referring to rudeness or his behavior on raids.

It's what most people refer to, Zwerg is even touching on it here, so you'll have to forgive the assumption I suppose - I certainly don't know you so I couldn't know you had unrelated issues. I was often asked (in game) how I could stand to play with him based on the attitude that he was infamous for. People who knew me in game couldn't understand how him and I could get along (I'm super laid back, to a fault, am easily distracted and am generally out to make sure everyone is having fun). Even in one of the screenshots above you see he even says he doesn't usually get along with people like myself or Bert. This is the thing most people took issue with, so these are safe assumptions in other words.

It's kind of unfortunate that then, and even much later, he was so much of the focus surrounding the guild (from the outside). There were so many amazing people there that they deserve credit for many of the things we did (THEY did really, I was just along for the ride for the most part). The thing is, I can't really tell my Legion story without including him.
PlaneWalker

Postby Zwerg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:09 pm

PlaneWalker wrote:It's kind of unfortunate that then, and even much later, he was so much of the focus surrounding the guild (from the outside). There were so many amazing people there that they deserve credit for many of the things we did (THEY did really, I was just along for the ride for the most part). The thing is, I can't really tell my Legion story without including him.

This is exactly where I'm coming from.
When the name Legion comes up all I think about are the best times I've had playing games with other people.
And I think I can blame Legion for not enjoying MMOs since. That's not a bad thing.
Zwerg

Postby Kregon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 pm

I still try to check this board a few times a week, even though the rate of posts in this thread seems to have dwindled over the years.

We recently had a little reunion by chance on the Genesis shard about 6 months ago. I was down in Malmo farming trash on my SB named Kregon one night when a shammy named Phil asks me if I want to duo. Being a solo SB I could hardly refuse such an offer from a healing class in 1.62. So after a quick exchange we team up. To my surprise after shooting the breeze back and forth as we killed things, Phil mentions that he played on Gaheris. After hearing that he played on Gaheris, I asked him what his character's name was, and he says, "Philburn." I literally fell out of my chair at this point, as not only was it Phil... We'd been grouped for over an hour before we figured out who each other was.

The next night it gets even more strange when I'm out farming tinderboxes in the frontier and see, "Volorath was just killed by a Fenrir!" Recognising the name instantly, I send him a tell, "Volo?" and the reply back, "I remember your name from somewhere..." Needless to say, it was indeed our Volorath. It was great getting to talk to Volo at length, as he had an incredible amount of insight that I wasn't privy to during my tenure. Though it did confirm my own suspicions that Binne was at the center of the rot that felled the guild.

Looking back on it all makes me wish I stayed around longer, and tried to help with the guild. But in reality it's simply a case of not knowing what you had until you've lost it. Back then it was about the game for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought Legion could be replaced.

My years of (mis)adventure with Aren following the guild fissure were memorable for sure, but they were never quite the same. Something was always a-miss with the guilds we found ourselves in. Despite the fact Legion itself was fairly mercenary during the early period, we never found that camaraderie among the slew of other mercenary guilds we joined over the years.

Perhaps that cheesy line Bert always said to new members when they joined wasn't so cheesy after all?
"This is the last guild tag you'll ever wear."

I don't know if anyone else here played on the Genesis shard back when it was fresh (January - April), but the three of us did. Unfortunately the server started dying before we felt comfortable putting out a call to arms on the board here. Still, as brief it was, I had a ton of fun on that shard before it died.
Kregon

Postby PlaneWalker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am

Kregon wrote:Perhaps that cheesy line Bert always said to new members when they joined wasn't so cheesy after all?
"This is the last guild tag you'll ever wear."

Wow, I completely forgot about him saying that to new arrivals (including to myself)... how prophetic, hehe.
PlaneWalker

Postby Zwerg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Cheesy, yet entirely accurate.
Zwerg

Postby PlaneWalker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 pm

This thread popped into my head today and I realized that might not happen again, so I thought I would drop off some contact info for any Legion members (or anyone really) who might want to connect...

>> I'm on Twitter here: @theweem
>> I'm on Gmail via "mikeweem"
>> I'm on Youtube via /weemcast
PlaneWalker

Postby Bert » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:52 am

Hey Plane - dropped you an email. little late but who cares, haha.

Some of the stuff said is absolutely touching, hehe.
Some of it is absolutely cringe-worthy too, lol.

One thing to remember - back in the heyday, I was 20. and I was really stupid, but somehow we all made it work.

DF was a great player, but an absolute asshole to deal with. He and I constantly butted heads, but that was never reason for me to remove him. We worked well enough because we were basically two opposite forces. He had his way of the fist, I was more of a softer touch. Both worked and attracted different people.

I kicked him because I had numerous female players tell me he was harassing them in tells. Once or twice I let it slide as there was no concrete evidence, but thereafter I received screenies and couldnt stick my head in the sand about it.
Nothing more than that really.

I still consider my Legion days a very strong formative part of my life - It led me down the path I'm at today, and also helped me build a stronger tighter knit guild in WoW after we split apart there, which I ran for 8 years thereafter (and earlier mentioned).

It was an absolutely special time and I'd love to go back and relive it all. Like Andy from the office once said - Now, I'm exactly where I want to be. I got my dream job, but I still think about my Legion and NH friends. I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days, before you've actually left them.

<3

Bert
Bert

Postby Zwerg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 am

Hey Bert, I'm gonna need you to start a Destiny clan on Xbox One.
Like... right now. Thanks
Zwerg

Postby Krunkinstien » Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 am

Wasn't Legion mostly from Alb/Merlin?

I remember raiding with legion once they opened their raids to other guilds. My roommate and I would tag along if we weren't running small groups with Mplode.
Krunkinstien

Postby LovinPhil » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:38 am

Hey Folks I know thread is a bit old but thought I would come by and say hi, tis Phil aka Philburn. I do remember the fun days back then, all the legion raids and lets not forget my 20 a day keep runs. Its been awhile been trying to go back in daoc but its not the same. I left WoW was pretty boring. Its good to see everyone still around. I do recall my process of getting in legion was basically from darkfury "Phil, so long as you just run your keep groups with only legion you can join" lol ofc Burt said otherwise and after a few days of raiding keeps I was invited in. But at the time we were elite in our own way, I regret a few of the things. I lost a number of friends because I joined legion and had a obligation to invite legion over the guys I usually played with, but at the time being able to say that your legion and have the reputation was worth more then the friends you made. I did make a lot of good friends in legion like plane and jammy and of course bert and xeene but it was something that I'm sure many people have to give up in order to become the "elite" of the server. LOL I do recall I has a house nect to plane, we both just sat on our lost for days until the price dropped enough to when we could buy it. Even though darkfury was doing diam groups constantly days before the housing we all were stupid and spent our gold on crap. Hehe we all camped our lots and waited till they dropped before buying making sure know one else bought them. I cant recall the LGM we had, but I do remember first week she bought 5 houses in our village. At the time I was amazed she had so much money! lol. was fun times, I do miss but alas always time to move on. What is everyone doing? I am kinda bored in between games working on my master's.
LovinPhil

Postby daldaren » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:54 am

Wow, this was a blast from the past.

Heya folks, Daldaren / Fames from Tanelorn and Riddle of Iron here.. Found this forum after a nostalgia conversation led me to think of Gaheris. Saw the thread about Legion, and so many names, memories, and good times flooded back. There are so many names I recognize, idolized, and bonded with, that I had to say hi.. so.. hi!

Legion was (is?) a wonderful group of folks, and some of their public raids were wonderful. Darkfury's TG runs, Bert's Caer Sidi runs, etc.. definitely shaped a good bit of my youth. The scale of the game was so huge for a kid of 13, but I still remember it quite vividly. Knowledgeable, skilled, often elitist, but always driving the community forward. Along with the gang from Riddle of Iron and its alliance, I can say I was glad to grow up in the MMO era.

Don't know how many of you are still out there, but any of the old-school Gaheris folks feel free to add/email me, my details will be below.. Awesome to see people still communicate after all these years!

steam ID (beware, will show up as 愛宕洋榎, that is me): daldaren
email: daldaren@hotmail.com
daldaren

Postby venny » Wed May 04, 2016 2:13 pm

wow what fun to read all this and look at our pictures! i hope life has been good to everyone. cant believe its been 13 years. :shock:
venny

Postby volorath » Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 am

time sure does fly when your doin other things =) to anyone thats interested Uthgard has started their beta, i've been playin around over there when im not playin progression EQ, names so far are Ociris, Torf, Synika, and of coarse Volorath
volorath

Postby Dreggan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Good lord, why did this pop into my head today. Up with the necro-post! Legion will never truly be dead!
Dreggan

Postby volorath » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:50 pm

we are legion, for we are many, though not all as one anymore, we still exist in spirit
volorath

Postby Kregon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:08 pm

It's that time again!

Volo and I will be rolling Mid on Uthgard's relaunch.

Lets see if we can make it 4+ this go around.

UPDATE!

We have a guild up on Midgard: Ragnarok.

Sadly, Legion was either taken, or simply unavailable.
Kregon

Postby Heph » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Glad to see this forum is still going :D

Life is funny how it goes. I'm massively impressed the nostalgia and joy I get thinking about the times in DAOC even though I make these damned games for a living now.

I ended up getting married to someone I met on Gaheris and they actually worked at Mythic! Small world.

Hope everyone is doing well. If anyone ever wants to get in touch and say hi my steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mebhin
Heph

Postby Muga » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm

How's everyone doing lately? What happened to the guild who booted everyone out??
Muga

Previous

Return to Gaheris history