Second round of prizes awarded! June 9, 2010

In 2010 we ran contests here which gave away 4000 dreads and dozens of HOAs and frags. The contests are over now but some of the threads are still interesting to read.

Second round of prizes awarded! June 9, 2010

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 am

We will continue to give away prizes as quickly as possible until we have distributed 3000 dreads, 10 frags, and an HOA.

250-DREAD WINNERS

Agriculture in the Dark Ages by Boudecca (prize collected June 9, 2010)

100-DREAD WINNERS

Technical error gets caught by Ogged (prize declined June 10, 2010)

Old Funny DAoC Video by Qwarr (prize collected June 9, 2010)

Geezer humor by Warriorperson (prize collected July 9, 2010)

Favorite chicken video by Warriorperson (prize collected July 9, 2010)

Winners should contact Ribble in the game to collect their prizes.

If anybody thinks a post was overlooked that should have won a prize, please PM Rob.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Second round of prizes awarded! June 9, 2010

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 am

THIS POST WON 250 DREADS FOR ALL-AROUND SPLENDIFEROUSNESS

BY BOUDECCA

...or how I learned to stop worrying and love farming.

As usual this is mainly for players newish to Gaheris, or DAoc, and especially for single-account soloers. I make no claim that this stuff is particularly wonderful. but farming can be tedious and this might help relieve that a bit.

Four major currencies in DAoC besides plat : Seals, Scales, Glass and Epic Dungeon Root (Hib Galladoria), Ice (Mid Tuscarian Glacier) and Souls (Caer Sidi Alb). The Epic items I will not consider further at this time.

1. Seals

No RvR on Gaheris so seals dropped from mobs are used to get Realm Points. Seals are of two base types which cannot be stacked together : Glowing Dreaded and Sanguine Dreaded. Once you have 10 of one type anyone can craft them into Lambent. Lambents can be combined in 5s to form Fulgents and Fulgents combine in stacks to give Effulgents. So :

10 base type = 1 Lambent
5 Lambent = 1 Fulgent = 50 base type.
5 Fulgent = 1 Effulgent = 250 base type.

These stacks make handing in the seals to the Collector NPCs more convenient. Each seal has a base value, which can be enhanced in various ways, as described elsewhere, but remember Froggs
(Fragment, Relic, Orion's, Guerdon, Guild, Snatcher) and the amulets, shards etc that can be got from quests when they are up. Mythic Bonuses also operate from time to time. Once handed in, your Realm rank increases and you are awarded Realm points and Bounty Points. Your Guild also gets Merit Points, of which 1k are needed for Guild Buffs to XP and RPS. Realm Points allow you to buy Realm Abilities and Bounty Points can be used to pay rent and to buy Master Level and Artifact stuff (see : Glass). (Note that on Gaheris the Respec stones are so common and cheap that you can respec as often as you wish)

Albion Collector is in the Hall of Fellows in the Castle
Midgard Collector is in the Temple of the Aesir in the back keft corner
Hibernian Collector is in the garden to the left as you exit Aileann Cair

a. Keeps are perhaps the richest source but I haven't yet come across one that can be soloed. I'll leave Keep Raiding for somebody else to explain.
b. Labyrinth inhabitants between the Guardians and the Hub drop them occasionally. After the Hub most mobs have a chance to drop seals, though again not very frequently. If you can get to Agramon's Lair (inside the Labyrinth) and can kill purple con, the creatures there have a better drop-rate. They also drop Diamond Seals, which aren't currency but sell easily from a CM.
c. Molochian Tempters (either side of the mile-gates near the Lab entrances) and the Rocots inside the gates (green-orange con to lvl 50) drop seals at a rate of about 6 per hr.
d. Relic keep bosses, and Dragons (not soloable) are also a good source.
e. But the ones you can farm solo are the Relic bosses outside in the Frontiers : those in Jamtland and in Hadrian's Wall give the best return for time spent. The Clockworker Prime and Lord of the Flies drop anything between 0-4 seals per kill and on occasion a Greater Mythrian of one sort or another. For Clockworker you kill the yellow minions first (or they heal him); for Lord of the Flies you kill him direct and his minions die shortly after he does. They both re-pop after 10mins or so. Take the Relic when it appears (observing the usual courtesies for other players in the vicinity) as this gives you an extra spawn. You can log off from these locs, but you must return within 10mins or you are ported to a safe village - usually a long way away.

2. Scales

These drop in numerous places and from alot of mobs, especially in the Epic Zones Malmohus, Dartmoor and Sheeroe Hills. You can, of course, just kill the lower level mobs for their scales but if you are farming in rotation you need static mobs. Higher level mobs (such as main dragons and secondary dungeon bosses) drop them in the thousands. There are at least 24 types of scale and they dont stack together but they all spend in the same way and are worth the same. You visit the NPCs in the capital cities that sell Dragon drops and just need to have them in your back pack. If you have a few odd types, put them in the first bags. The better stuff costs 500 scales.

3. Atlantean Glass

Again there are several types that don't stack together. Glass drops in 10s (from elementals etc) and Glass Caches drop in 100s. For this article this last type are what we want, and they drop from artifact mobs. Glass can be used instead of BPs to buy Master Levels and Master Level XP, artifact scrolls and books and artifact credit. This is done in the Hall of Heroes in Oceanus.

OKi, so having set out some of the basics how do we combine this into a convenient form of farming? At this time I'll describe how you can farm Seals, Scales and Glass in rotation.

a. Find a free Frontier Relic (Jamtland or Hadrian's). Ride out to it and kill the mobs. You can now log from there but note that you must return within 10min and during that time somebody else may occupy the spot, so don't do this at a busy time.

b. Find the Dragon Minions in Uppland (and maybe other frontier regions where logging will NOT get you ported - Cruachan Gorge minions are no good for this). Kill them - usually 4 yellow/orange con to 50 - and some of them will drop a scale. Back to Relic if you've taken too long.

c. Post a toon on Peridas Island. When you log in there if he's up and free, kill him for 100 Glass cache. (3 blue con to 50 mobs one after the other). At the right time of day swim over to Night Terror Island to the SW. He spawns between 6pm and 3am most nights. You have to kill him (one green to 50 and 6 gray con) before he despawns for 100 glass cache. You can kill the non-grey con Harpies while you wait and some drop 10 Glass.
Back to Peridas and kill him again if he's up and if you have time. Otherwise back to Relic. Note that Peridas is the arti boss for Orion's belt and Night Terror for Gem of Lost memories, so there may be lower level players wanting these for cred. Observe the usual courtesies.

Rinse and Repeat

There's alot I haven't gone into, but this should be enough to get you started. Remember there are many other ways to do this and (I hope) you will get plenty of other suggestions.

GL & HF

Boude the Obscure
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:00 am

THIS POST WON 100 DREADS BECAUSE IT'S HELPFUL AND BECAUSE THERE'S A LOT OF WORK BEHIND IT

BY OGGED

Sorry to nitpick again, but I've been trying to understand the math behind the dread seal calculator since it was driving me crazy that my results were different from those obtained by the calculator. So I looked up the javascript and saw that in the given formula

RPS per dread = Floor ( ( 1 + P ) ( 1 + G ) ( 1 + I + M + R ) ) 3000 )

G and R are switched with the actual calculation in the script.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 am

THIS POST WON 100 DREADS BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY

BY WARRIORPERSON

Rob wrote:Muahaha has a new member, Paul. He's Joseph's five-year-old brother.

Wow, Muahaha might get the average age down into the teens at this rate!
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

THIS POST WON 100 DREADS BECAUSE IT PUT A SMILE ON SOMEONE'S DIAL

BY QWARR

Hey all

I remember seeing this video many years ago, and ran by it on youtube by pure luck.

Thought I would share it with anyone that havent seen it before, or others that would like to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUE9UTsL4A

Enjoy :)
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:06 am

THIS POST WON 100 DREADS BECAUSE CHICKEN VIDEOS PWN

BY WARRIORPERSON

This is my personal favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuokG10w9A

Superchicken = win.