Discussion about prizes

In 2010 we ran contests here which gave away 4000 dreads and dozens of HOAs and frags. The contests are over now but some of the threads are still interesting to read.

Discussion about prizes

Postby Khaymen » Sat May 22, 2010 10:09 am

there's an elf, and he goes for an interview for a job in the realm defence corps...the interviewer, says "i want you to go out and kill 10 kobolds and a bird...the elf says "why would i want to kill a bird?", to which the interviewer replys "you've got the job";)
Khaymen

Re: Discussion about prizes

Postby Khaymen » Sat May 22, 2010 10:16 am

THE FORUM JUDGES HAVE AWARDED A 100-DREAD PRIZE TO KHAYMEN FOR THIS POST BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY.

king lug lamfhota is having a party at his castle, where he has a huge swimming pool in which he keeps a leviathan...he invite's a troll and numerous other guests...he says to all present "whoever jumps in the pool and wrestles the leviathan i will give 2000000 platinum pieces to, all of a sudden the troll jumps in...he grabs the leviathan and he strangles it, eye gouges it, has it's fins locked up it's back etc...the troll finally gets out of the water and king lug says to him "that was so impressive, that i'll give you the 2000000 platinum pieces, AND anything else you should choose" "do you want a set of our finest epic armour?" he says...the troll replys "no thanks"..."would you like one of our most powerful champion weapons?" the king asks...to which the troll replys "no" again...the king asks the troll "well what would you like?"...to which the troll replys "i want the bastard that pushed me in";)
Khaymen

Re: We're giving away 3000 dreads, 10 frags, and an HOA!

Postby Inej » Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm

funniest statement ever: Inej is good at DAOC

best advice ever: Dont play like INej
Inej

Postby Cerise » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 am

Sorry for the silly question as I don't know all the terminology...what are frags and HOA?
Cerise

Postby Warriorperson » Sun May 23, 2010 12:17 pm

THE FORUM JUDGES HAVE AWARDED A 250-DREAD PRIZE TO WARRIORPERSON FOR THIS POST BECAUSE IT DIRECTLY ANSWERS SOMEONE'S QUESTION AND BECAUSE IT CONTAINS A GREAT DEAL OF USEFUL INFORMATION, SOME OF IT NOT WIDELY KNOWN, ESPECIALLY ABOUT DASHING DEFENSE.

Take a look here! http://gaheris.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22

It's the start of an update to my keep guide (which is in the Articles section, and will be updated soon-ish). I'm planning on doing MLs next, since VoS is hopelessly out of date.

Edit: For convenience, I'll also just re-post it here.

Tank: The main tank of the group, usually whoever is guarding the primary pbae. This person is responsible for the majority of body pulling of monsters, and usually has protect on the main healer in order to control aggro.

PBAE: The Enchanter/Wizard/SM/Bainshee/Eldritch/Warlock casting the point-blank area-of-effect damage spells that do the majority of the damage output. They are also responsible for casting Direct Damage spells on caster mobs to interrupt them, and controlling their pets, in the case of Enchanters and Spiritmasters.

HoA: Heart of Agramon, and Gaheris specific Jewel slot item that is used to help break down keep walls and doors. It drops off of Lord Agramon on Isle of Agramon, a Gaheris specific encounter. It does NOT drop off of the Labyrinth version of Lord Agramon.

Magic frag: The three Magic Relic Fragments (necklace slot item) that drop on Gaheris, Cauldron of Dagda Fragment, Merlin's Staff Fragment, and Horn of Valhalla Fragment. The /use1 is a +20% spell damage buff for the entire group that lasts 5 minutes (6minutes and 30 seconds if used by someone with +25% spell duration in their template, which my generic caster template, provided in this guide, includes)

Strength frag: The three Strength Relic Fragments (necklace slot item) that drop on Gaheris, Excalibur's Scabbard Fragment, Thor's Hammer Fragment, and Lug's Spear Fragment. The /use1 is a group melee ablative that will absorb the first 2000 points of melee damage dealt to a character.

DD: Dashing Defense, a realm ability exclusive to heavy tanks (Armsman, Warrior, Hero) that allows the tank to block/parry for the entire group for 10, 25, or 60 seconds, depending on the level of the RA. An amazingly useful RA, that I recommend every heavy tank acquire. It is also my primary reason for using a heavy tank over a Paladin.

MCL: Mystic Crystal Lore, a Realm Ability that allows a character to replenish 25, 60 or 100% of their power pool, while out of combat, every 3 minutes. MCL2 is a very good investment for most casters.

RP: Similar to MCL, but able to be used while in combat (even mid-cast), but on a 15 minute timer instead of 3. Useful to have, but not as much return on investment as MCL2. Recommended for higher RR casters.

Guard: The ability given to shield specialized classes that allows them to use their shield to block for another character (usually the pbae). Guard will only block monsters that are within about a 120 degree arc in front of the tank.

Protect: An ability given to tanks (NOT Wardens) that will allow them to transfer aggro generated by healing off of the healer and onto themselves. Protect 3 (Armsman, Hero, Warrior, Paladin) will transfer 100% of the aggro generated onto the tank, Protect 2 (Valkyries, most other tanks) will transfer a smaller percentage, and thus will allow the healer to pull aggro by healing to much.
Last edited by Warriorperson on Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can be reached via email at blasek0 AT gmail D.OT com
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Sheb » Sun May 23, 2010 7:08 pm

gone
Last edited by Sheb on Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheb

Postby Rob » Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 am

Judi and I (the two judges) talked for a couple hours yesterday about the posts so far. We're planning to start giving prizes soon.

The main thing that Judi and I agree on is this: Whatever type of posts we pick, the forum will get a lot more of that type of post in the future.

So we want to be very careful (especially at the beginning) to encourage the types of posts that we want to see more of.

We agreed that the main thing we want to encourage is people answering other people's questions. We'd like the forum to be a place where anybody (including noobs) can ask questions without worries and get a helpful answer.

That doesn't mean other types of posts won't get prizes. It just means we want to emphasize helpful answers at the beginning. Everything posted so far will be eligible for prizes, but we may hold off on announcing those prizes so we can announce prizes for helpful answers first.

I should have said this when I published the initial prize guidelines a few days ago, but it wasn't until people began posting, and until Judi and I began reading, that we realized this.
You may have known me as Ribble or robbie1687
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Boudecca » Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Sheb wrote:[LOL i love that one :)

.......and I don't. No place for it and others like it on this type of board IMO. There's a time and a place for everything and this isn't it. Kids might well read this section if there are helpful hints. In any case the use of foul language is inexcusable, unless you are incapable of expressing yourself in any other way.

:(
Last edited by Boudecca on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boude the Obscure
Boudecca

Postby Rob » Mon May 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Boudecca wrote:
Sheb wrote:[LOL i love that one :)

.......and I don't. No place for it and others like it on this type of board IMO. There's a time and a place for everything and this isn't it. Kids might well read this section if there are helpful hints. In any case the use of foul language is inexcusable, unless you are incapable of expressing yourself in any other way.

At the time Sheb posted that joke, there was no rule here against anything he wrote. Judi (Black Canine) and I just discussed the post on the phone and we agreed to add the following rule:

"2. Language and contents of posts must be suitable for young children to read."

Judi is the main moderator here. She told me she's going to apply the new rule to Sheb's post retroactively.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Cleaning up the language still wouldn't change the subject material of the joke, and I don't really see how the joke is able to be cleaned up, so deleting it would appear to be the best option. If the rule is going to be 'small children', what age of child are we talking about? We can keep everything G rated, but the average player has to be at least 20, as I know very few players younger than me (I'm 20), and even fewer younger than 14 (who are the absolute oldest of whom might be considered 'young' for these purposes), and I would imagine that the average age is even higher on the boards.

Boude, you can object to the content of the joke (and you have every right to, different people are bothered by different things), but his choice of language is his own, and 'foul language' is entirely subjective. Let him express his idea how he wants, and limit the commenting to the content of what he said.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Rob » Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Warriorperson wrote:If the rule is going to be 'small children', what age of child are we talking about?

I'm not going to comment on Judi's actions because I've delegated moderation to her completely and she's in charge of that. But I'll say something about the rule (which I wrote after talking to both Boudecca and Judi about Sheb's post). The rule means that everything here must be suitable for *any* child to read of whatever age.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Warriorperson » Mon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Ok, that's easy enough to do. I just don't like subjectivity in rules, it confuses people.

Edit: How you go about modding the post is your business, I wasn't offended, I even found it funny, but that you're modding it to be more appropriate because others were makes sense.
Warriorperson
Sage
Sage

Postby Sheb » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

i just deleated it anyway regardless of the rule you guys come up with
Sheb

Postby Rob » Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Sheb wrote:i just deleated it anyway regardless of the rule you guys come up with

Thanks Sheb. You are a gentleman!
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Warriorperson wrote: I just don't like subjectivity in rules, it confuses people.

I'd rather not discuss the rule in this thread -- this whole conversation is off topic -- but if anybody wants to start another thread about our rules I'll be happy to talk about them.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Boudecca » Mon May 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Warriorperson wrote:Cleaning up the language still wouldn't change the subject material of the joke, and I don't really see how the joke is able to be cleaned up, so deleting it would appear to be the best option. If the rule is going to be 'small children', what age of child are we talking about? We can keep everything G rated, but the average player has to be at least 20, as I know very few players younger than me (I'm 20), and even fewer younger than 14 (who are the absolute oldest of whom might be considered 'young' for these purposes), and I would imagine that the average age is even higher on the boards.

Boude, you can object to the content of the joke (and you have every right to, different people are bothered by different things), but his choice of language is his own, and 'foul language' is entirely subjective. Let him express his idea how he wants, and limit the commenting to the content of what he said.

Thanks for the comments and advice. However I would take you up on two counts. 'foul language' is by no means subjective - most societies would agree, and dictionaries would mark, as 'taboo' the relatively small number of words that, say, broadcasters would 'bleep' before the watershed. I know personally of at least three children under 12 who play regularly on Gaheris, though I have no idea that they would access this Forum. The point is though, that they could.
I had no objection to the content of the joke as such, and it certainly didn't, as you imply, bother me at all. My point, as I thought you might have inferred, was that this Board is, IMO, the wrong place to air it.
My comments were entirely relevant to what he said - none of them referred to anything else. There is a medical condition where some people cannot help but use obscenities. I have no intention of attempting to censure their behaviour, hence my final remark. I assumed it would not be applicable to Sheb.
Boude the Obscure
Boudecca

Return to Sorry, this contest is over